Our English Language Arts and Literacy program incorporates the following principles and practices:
- Reading to, with and by students through read aloud, modeled writing, shared, guided, and independent reading and writing experiences
- Sharing a balance of high quality literature and informational texts
- Supporting readers with increasingly complex text
- Teaching for understanding and engagement
- Fostering passion and curiosity
- Creating an environment that values collaborative learning and thinking
- Supporting students as they read literature and informational text they can and want to read
- Building instruction around authentic, relevant and significant topics
- Providing explicit instruction with the Gradual Release of Responsibility framework
- Differentiating instruction and text
- Writing arguments, explanations, and narratives
Balanced Literacy draws on current research and practice to provide learners the balance of skills, strategies, materials, and social and emotional support needed to help them become critical thinkers, independent problem-solvers, self-monitors and goal setters.
Integral to all we do is teaching for understanding.