Welcome to the Hastings Parent Group Homepage
Hastings Parent Group News
Posted by Kim Keogh 9/11/13
VISIT HPG at
Once there, select “Schools” → “Hastings Elementary School” and look for our link from the “Parents” tab
Join us on FACEBOOK @ our new HastingsParentGroup page (look for the purple balloon icon)
Updates and reminders:
1) The Hastings Parent Group (HPG) is an organization made up of parent volunteers and an elected Board. We serve as a vehicle for communication, service and parental involvement within Hastings Elementary School. We strive to promote the welfare of the students in the home, school and community and to promote cooperation among parents, staff and other interested community persons. We provide educational enrichment for students and promote communication with Hastings administration and staff, the School Department, School Committee, and other parent groups and teacher organizations in Westborough. The 13-14’ HPG Board members are Kim Keogh as President, Shannon Vallee as Vice-President, Amy Allegretta as Treasurer and Sue DeCastro as Secretary.
2) 2012-2012 Year End Report: On behalf of HPG I want to thank all of the parents and staff for your work and support with our many school wide efforts throughout the year. Somehow it all gets done! I am pleased to report that HPG raised enough funds to support over $11,000 of enrichment activities (eg., field trips and all school assemblies) that impacted all grades, education and parent based workshops, teacher supplies and the awesome fish tank in the lobby. In addition, our ways/means funds supported the purchase of brand new recess playground toys and blacktop stenciling for new games around the back of the school. We are pleased to report that district funds were allocated to the BrightLinks smart board that we had set as an original purchase goal. The playground enhancement project was a unanimous request by Principal Becker and Hastings staff.
3) Student Directory: Orders are DUE ASAP. Follow this link http://tinyurl.com/HPGForm and send in $5.00 per book in with your child in an envelope marked with your name and “directory. Hard copy forms were also sent home in first day packets. These order forms may also be sent to school with your child in an envelope marked your name and payment in an envelope marked “directory”. Contact email@example.com questions.
4) 9/19/13 Open House & School Council: This is a great night to meet your teachers and see your classrooms. In addition, our Hastings School Council is in need of 1 parent representative. The council meets once per month with Mrs. Becker to review overall school and district goal planning. Letters of interest should be sent directly to Mrs. Becker. In the event of multiple letters of interest HPG will handle voting via Survey Monkey.
5) 11/14/13 Scholastic Book Fair & Ice Cream Social: Mark your calendars for this great family event and fundraiser for Hastings! More details about the event and volunteer opportunities to come.
6) HPG Parent Group Meeting: Our 1st meeting is on 9/26/13 at 7:00pm in the library. Agenda items typically include updates from Principal Becker, teacher liaison, HPG Committees and guest topic/speakers. All are welcome. Athough we are always planning activities there is no pressure to volunteer at the meetings. However, HPG is, by design, a volunteer based group and we always need help big or small. These meetings are 1 of many ways to share information and meet other parents. Free Childcare is available in the cafetorium.
7) A few wrap up items from last year: There was a little glitch with the final June VB and I wanted to be sure that the proper thank yous were sent. A huge thank you to Patty Mills who worked behind the scenes all year to organize and schedule the busy list of enrichment activities. Kim Braden set up the outdoor school sign all year rain or shine. Elaine Honan ran the Square 1 project. And, Corrie Marino worked the June Field Day and the surprise hit McTeacher event. And Yes, back by popular demand there will be more McTeacher nights - hopefully one in October. A final shout out to Amy Allegretta, Sue DeCastro, Vanessa Aires and Shannon Vallee for everything that they they did all year for HPG and our Hastings Community. Finally, HPG must always thank Leigh Becker, Betsy Krentzman and the Hastings Staff for all of their support throughout the year.