Assignment:

Please collect the following information:

1. Please choose 1 song (school appropriate*) that you can connect with a section of Manchild.
  2. Write the singer/band of that song
  3. Copy the lyrics & link into a Word Document 
  4. Write a 6-12 sentence paragraph describing how/why the song you chose connects with Manchild. Be sure to reference the novel by including the chapter/example/page number.
  5. Then please submit a link to amazon.com or bmg.com
  6. Copy and Paste your work from the Word Document into the Discussion Board Post

To Link your Song and Song Lyrics:

1. Once you have found your song/lyrics on the internet, listen/read to make sure it doesn't contain any inappropriate language. Copy the web address in the top bar by selecting it and going to Edit --> Copy
  2. In your post on the discussion board, click on Advanced Content Editor
  3. Paste your address into the text area, then highlight the address.
  4. Click on the link editor (looks like anchor links)
  5. Paste the address again in Address window and click insert.
  6. Type the rest of your post
  7. Click the Save Disk in the upper left-hand corner when you're done and the Advanced Content Editor closes.
  8. Check your spelling! Click done.

The song 'Footprints' by T.O.K is a perfect soundtrack for Claude Brown's novel Manchild in the Promised Land. It captures the hardships of living in the street and turning to God when in times of trouble. This is perfect because growing up in
Harlem
in the 50's was extremely hard. Some kids overcame the adversity and others unfortunately took the wrong path and turned to drugs and violence. Although this song is somewhat religious, I believe it captures the idea of being optimistic and feeling like we are capable of overcoming anything that we set our minds to-even if it is leaving the street life. (Note: the artists of this song are Jamaican so there is a lot of Jamaican dialect in the song, but it should be pretty easy to understand.)

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tok/footprints.html

To hear the song

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X6Z592/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk6/002-4278043-6500822

"Footprints"

T.O.K

Unknown Language

[Craigy T]

One set of footprints inna di sand and yuh a grumble and a screw a seh it shoulda be two remember one thing mi youth a Father God have the plan so when

you see one set of footprints a God carry you

[verse 1 (Flexx)]

Hurry up and come back was the last thing she said to her son the day his life was taken she did not know he wouldn't come back he died from the bullet

of a gun and now her little boy is gone

[Alex]

She said help me, Lord help me and she looked up to the sky and she heard a voice reply

[Chorus]

When you cry I cry

I cry along with you

When you smile I smile

I smile along with you

[repeat]

[verse 2 (Flexx)]

Another baby left homeless

abandoned when he was two so the street side kids at the shopping mall was the family he knew it's not easy being homeless sometimes you have to do

what you have to do and he didn't have a mom or dad to help him get through

[Alex]

He said help me, Lord help me

and then he looked up to the sky and he heard a voice reply

[Chorus]

[verse 3 (Bay-C)]

It was early Sunday morning mi get up a watch the news then mi hear seh last night a seaview dem kill a youth den mamma tell mi seh her church sister

Jacqueline just lose her brother over seaview gardens when she tell mi jah jah know ti mash mi up naah tell nuh lie but yuh know seh man a thuggist so yuh

naah go see me cry everyday and everynight she still a ask the father why her brother had to die she heard a voice reply

[Chorus]

Baby Don't Go

Fabolous Lyrics Intro:

T-Pain (Fabolous) J.D.]

I try to play cool Actin like what you do don't phase me,

don't phase me Meanwhile I'm sittin at home, all alone

Tryin to keep myself from goin crazy

When I'm in the house, when I think about

When I see you out, when I hear about T-Pain

I want my baby back! 'Lo-so

And I thought it would be easy but it's hard for me to let you GO~!

(Baby don't) GO! (Baby don't) go! (Baby don't) go (baby don't)

y'all know what this is [Fabolous]

Now I'm better than your ex, gon' be better than your next

Baby Screwed Up so you better be from Tex-as

Can't seem to doubt that I creamed her out

Now you dream about how I turned Nieman out

Nothin to scream about just back your Beemer out

Pack it up in the trunk, go back to Kima house

Cause I can play cool, but I can't play fool

There's options in break up, you ever play pool?

Better do you cause I **** sure does me

And what your buzz be is only because of me

The wifey, hus-by, never was me I does me, trust me

I don't wanna another you so I'ma slide (yup)

But I got another boo, on the side, bay-bay

[Chorus: T-Pain (Fabolous) unlisted J.D. ad libs]

I try to play cool

Actin like what you do don't phase me, don't phase me

Meanwhile I'm sittin at home, all alone

Tryin to keep myself from goin crazy

When I'm in the house, when I think about

When I see you out, when I hear about I want my baby back!

And I thought it would be easy but it's hard for me to let you GO~!

(Baby don't) GO! (Baby don't) go! (Baby don't) go (baby don't)

[Fabolous] Through the time I been alone, time I spent on phones

Know you ain't lettin them climb up in my throne

Now, baby that lime with that Patron Have me talkin crazy, it's time to come on home

Now, I talk with someone above

It's okay to lose your pride over someone you love

Don't lose someone you love though over your pride

Stick wit'cha entree and get over your side

We break up to make up at Jacob's baby Her parents fought too,

I'm the makeup baby

Wake up baby,

love'll have you open though

I mean you seen Tom Cruise on the Oprah show

So I just can't bet on the next hand

There's too much in this pot just to give to the next man

[Chorus]

[Fabolous]

Now if you ain't never went through it you ain't really into it

The next rap to show you I really been through it

Every other day I'm givin the love away

That's what your friend's sister or little brother say

If I'ma do somethin, it's the undercover way

When them hatin a** watchdogs look the other way

And others may not see that we need each other

But if we on the same page we can read each other

They should learn us, instead of try to turn us

Mr. and Ms. Smith, we both got the burners - UP~!

If you love your baby then turn this up

Know we keep this hot like a Thermos cup

Relax, don't be tryin to perm us up We already straight - yesss

[Chorus]

This is a great song for Manchild in the Promise Land because in chapter 15 Claude falls in love with a girl named Judy. He hangs out with her for about six months. He introduces her to new things like music. He also didn't want to go so fast with her like he did with "other *******". After about six months she was taken away by her parents. Like in the book he has no idea where she is and really wants to find her, he doesn't want to let her go, like the lyrics say.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Dont-Go/dp/B000W0XHSK/ref=sr_f2_2/105-9759707-3942863?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1193845749&sr=102-2

Bobby Womack, Across 110th street

I was the third brother of five,
Doing whatever I had to do to survive.
I'm not saying what I did was alright,
Trying to break out of the ghetto was a day to day fight.

Been down so long, getting up didn't cross my mind,
I knew there was a better way of life that I was just trying to find.
You don't know what you'll do until you're put under pressure,
Across 110th Street is a **** of a tester.

Across 110th Street,
Pimps trying to catch a woman that's weak
Across 110th Street,
Pushers won't let the junkie go free.
Across 110th Street,
Woman trying to catch a trick on the street.
Across 110th Street,
You can find it all in the street.

I got one more thing I'd like to talk to y'all about right now.
Hey brother, there's a better way out.
Snorting that coke, shooting that dope man you're copping out.
Take my advice, it's either live or die.
You've got to be strong, if you want to survive.

The family on the other side of town,
Would catch **** without a ghetto around.
In every city you find the same thing going down,
Harlem is the capital of every ghetto town.

Across 110th Street,
Pimps trying to catch a woman that's weak
Across 110th Street,
Pushers won't let the junkie go free.
Across 110th Street,
A woman trying to catch a trick on the street, ouh baby
Across 110th Street,
You can find it all in the street.
Yes he can, oh

Look around you, just look around you,
Look around you, look around you, uh yeah
http://www.amazon.com/Across-110th-Street/dp/B000TRTC9E/ref=sr_f2_5/104-5473126-3880700?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1193845810&sr=102-5

I think that this song really reflects sonny's life. It tells the hardships of living in the gehtto and having to survive when things get hard. It also talks about how to get out and survive without doing drugs or anuthing illegal. Bobby Womack really did a good job in capturing the things that happen in a gehtto with this story. When i hear this song i think about sonny and how this really is his life not someone elses.
Sum 41's song "Into Deep" correlates to Manchild in the way that they song lyrics describe Sonny's mom and dad trying to keep Sonny out of harms way. The first section of the song goes: "The faster we're falling, We're stopping and stalling We're running in circles again Just as things we're looking up You said it wasn't good enough But still we're trying One more time" This section of the song seems like it could be talking about how no matter what Sonny's parents do to keep him of the streets and out of harms way he always reverts to his old ways. His parents feel as though they are "running in circles" and no matter if they send him away or punish him it's never enough to make Sonny change. Other parts of the song talk about trying to hard (" Maybe we're just trying to hard/When really its closer than it is to far") which could mean that Sonny's parents were trying to hard to fix or control a problem that had to work itself out. Sonny did change his ways when he went out on his own and his parents had nearly given up on him. The chorus, "Cause I'm in too deep, and I'm trying to keep/Up above in my head, instead of going under", means that the Brown family is so deep into the drugs and street life with Sonny and increasingly more with Pimp that there just trying to stay afloat and not lose the entire family to that way of living. The song fits the book because of the words and how it seems to mean that people are trying to make things better but when they can't there just trying to stay up and not completely lose hope, which I thought was a major part in Sonny's home life. Lyrics: Sum 41 - In Too Deep Lyrics The faster we're falling, We're stopping and stalling. We're running in circles again Just as things we're looking up You said it wasn't good enough. But still we're trying one more time. Maybe we're just trying to hard. When really it's closer than it is too far Cause I'm in too deep, and I'm trying to keep, Up above in my head, instead of going under. Cause I'm in too deep, and I'm trying to keep, Up above in my head, instead of going under. Instead of going under. Seems like each time I'm with you I loose my mind, Because I'm bending over backwards to relate. It's one thing to complain But when you're driving me insane Well then I think it's time that we took a break. Maybe we're just trying to hard. When really it's closer than it is too far Cause I'm in too deep, and I'm trying to keep, Up above in my head, instead of going under. Cause I'm in too deep, and I'm trying to keep, Up above in my head, instead of going under. Instead of going under. Instead of going under. I can't sit back and wonder why. It took so long for this to die. And I hate it when you fake it. You can't hide it you might as well embrace it. So believe me it's not easy. It seems that something's telling me, Cause I'm in too deep, and I'm trying to keep, Up above in my head, instead of going under. Cause I'm in too deep, and I'm trying to keep, Up above in my head, instead of going under. Instead of going under. instead of going under. instead of going under again. instead of going under again. instead of going under again. instead of going under again. MP3 Link:

http://www.amazon.com/In-Too-Deep/dp/B000VRYNYG/ref=sr_f2_3/103-5755625-6947824?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1194396689&sr=102-3

“April 26th, 1992” by Sublime

"April 26th, 1992
There was a riot on the streets
Tell me where were you?
You were sittin' home watchin' your TV
While I was participating in some anarchy
First spot we hit it was my liquor store
I finally got all that alcohol I can't afford
With red lights flashin', time to retire
And then we turned that liquor store into a structure fire
Next stop we hit, it was the music shop
It only took one brick to make the window drop
Finally we got our own P.A.
Where do you think I got this guitar that you're hearing today?
When we returned to the pad to unload everything
It dawned on me that I need new home furnishings
So once again we filled the van until it was full
Since that day my livin' room's been much more comfortable
Cause everybody in the hood has had it up to here
It's getting harder, and harder, and harder each and every year
Some kids went in a store with their mother
I saw her when she came out she was gettin' some Pampers
They said it was for the black man
They said it was for the Mexican
But not for the white man
But if you look at the streets, it wasn't about Rodney King
It's this f***** up situation and these f***** up police
It's about comin' up and stayin' on top
And screamin' 1-8-7 on a mother f****** cop
It ain't in the paper, it's on the wall
National guard
Smoke from all around
Cuz' as long as I'm alive, I'ma live illegal
Let it burn
Wanna let it burn, wanna let it burn
Wanna wanna let it burn
Riots on the streets of Miami
Whoa, riots on the streets of Chicago
On the streets of Long Beach
In San Francisco
Riots on the streets of Kansas City
Tuskaloosa, Alabama
Cleveland, Ohio
Fountain Valley, Paramount, Vista Buelle
Eugene, Oregon
Eureka, California
Hesperia
Santa Barbara
Winnemucca, Nevada
Phoenix, Arizona
San Diego
Lakeland, Florida
F****** 29 Palms"

“April 26th, 1992” by Sublime is a great description of what Saturday nights were like in Harlem for Sonny in Manchild in the Promised Land. The lyrics describe riots in different cities and speak of the band members looting and destroying stores all across their town. Throughout chapter 13 Sonny describes what a Saturday night is like in Harlem, and “April 26th, 1992” describes similar situations. Sonny speaks about people such as cops dying on Saturday nights, and in part of the song, the singer says, “It's about comin' up and stayin' on top, and screamin' 1-8-7 on a mother f****** cop.”
Throughout the song elements of stealing are sung, which is commonplace in Sonny’s life. He grew up stealing as did his friends, and that it how they got by in life.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_dmusic/105-3271922-6642028?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=sublime

1.)I Can

2.)Nas

3.)[Kids] I know I can (I know I can) Be what I wanna be (be what I wanna be) If I work hard at it (If I work hard at it) I'll be where I wanna be (I'll be where I wanna be) [Nas] Be, B-Boys and girls, listen up You can be anything in the world, in God we trust An architect, doctor, maybe an actress But nothing comes easy it takes much practice Like, I met a woman who's becoming a star She was very beautiful, leaving people in awe Singing songs, Lina Horn, but the younger version Hung with the wrong person Got her strung on that Heroin, cocaine, sniffin up drugs all in her nose... Coulda died, so young, now looks ugly and old No fun cause now when she reaches for hugs people hold they breath Cause she smells of corrosion and death Watch the company you keep and the crowd you bring Cause they came to do drugs and you came to sing So if you gonna be the best, I'ma tell you how, Put your hands in the air, and take a vow

[Chorus - 2x (Nas and Kids)]

I know I can (I know I can) Be what I wanna be (be what I wanna be) If I work hard at it (If I work hard at it) I'll be where I wanna be (I'll be where I wanna be) [Nas] Be, B-Boys and girls, listen again This is for grown looking girls who's only ten The ones who watch videos and do what they see As cute as can be, up in the club with fake ID Careful, 'fore you meet a man with HIV You can host the TV like Oprah Winfrey Whatever you decide, be careful, some men be Rapists, so act your age, don't pretend to be Older than you are, give yourself time to grow You thinking he can give you wealth, but so Young boys, you can use a lot of help, you know You thinkin life's all about smokin weed and ice You don't wanna be my age and can't read and write Begging different women for a place to sleep at night Smart boys turn to men and do whatever they wish If you believe you can achieve, then say it like this

[Chorus]

[Nas] Be, be, 'fore we came to this country We were kings and queens, never porch monkeys There was empires in Africa called Kush Timbuktu, where every race came to get books To learn from black teachers who taught Greeks and Romans Asian Arabs and gave them gold when Gold was converted to money it all changed Money then became empowerment for Europeans The Persian military invaded They heard about the gold, the teachings, and everything sacred Africa was almost robbed naked Slavery was money, so they began making slave ships Egypt was the place that Alexander the Great went He was so shocked at the mountains with black faces Shot up they nose to impose what basically Still goes on today, you see? If the truth is told, the youth can grow Then learn to survive until they gain control Nobody says you have to be gangstas, hoes Read more learn more, change the globe Ghetto children, do your thing Hold your head up, little man, you're a king Young Princess when you get your wedding ring Your man is saying "She's my queen" [Chorus] Save the music y'all, save the music y'all Save the music y'all, save the music y'all Save the music

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/nas/ican.html

4.) The song I Can by Nas represents Manchild in the Promised Land in many ways. In the song , Nas talks about the struggles and problems that young adults may face. He specifically talks about a girl who was becoming a singer but she got hung on heroin, cocaine and other drugs. He then goes on to say that you can be anything you want if you work hard at it. This can related to Sonny in Manchild because at one point he was into heroin and other drugs but throughout the story he stopped using drugs and shaped up a little bit. One line in the song says "You don't wanna be my age and can't read and write" he is referring to drug use and bad decisions there as well. In Manchild, Sonny stops going to school for a while so he can do drugs during the day and other destructive things. Throughout the song, Nas is trying to inspire young adults and teenagers that they can change the world by reading or simply becoming aware and staying in school. This is a very important message to Sonny because at various points throughout the book he has given up and lost hope in a way. Sonny finally does realized that if he continues with drugs he will kill himself and so he becomes aware, makes better decisions and stops.

5.)

http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Son-Nas/dp/B00007FZIJ/ref=sr_1_5/105-2563389-3421215?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1193849818&sr=1-5

-> Amazon Website

Lord You Know
By Cam’ron and Jahiem

Now lord you know... just how hard I try,
to live my life.
Til I see some light... or even better...
way over way a new day, someday
yesterday was filled with sorrow but tomorrow
it gets better you know
believe me, I know

verse 1: Cam'ron

With my muscle you be dazzled, but hustlin's a hassle.
Percuset, Demorel, capsules and packets.
cops wanna cuff me, n**** wanna clap you,
b****** might burn you, they runnin' with that clap too.
but the monster made it, do it for those incarcerated,
who had it confiscated. hate it,
when they take powder, up state he take showers,
baby mom on greyhound for eight hours.
see her man face to face through a glass,
on the phone ten years he got chasin' that cash.
and he had the game in a smash,
fell like the towers when the planes went on crash.
it wasn't 9/11, but it was 9-1-1,
gave him 9 plus 1, dropped a dime on dun.
I told him get his nine and run,
turned himself in I had to find that dumb, that's too long.

(Hook: Jaheim)

Verse 2: Cam'ron

eh yo them n***** from the 3-2, said I can't breeze through
the fourty if I cop bottles, we can't believe you.
me who? please boo. landin' in that G2,
same color as beef stew, favorite letters :GQ.
that's me, true. peace blue, hebrew
lawyer on my side keep me out of jail to fee stoop, skeet whoo
but it might lead to, that R2-D2, the mobsters creep through.
we da new PE, s****** PU.
To da hood y'all don't need me, I need you.
cause my mission's the same, you couldn't envision the pain,
always a snitch in the game. what you want prison or fame?
neither one, dun, long as my digits are same.
he lookin' frigid, diggin' make sure them digits get changed. (why?)
cause I can't be in ****'s cell, child of Mell' Mel
cash and **** rells. zeek doin' three, he even fell, ****, he comin home in 07 and 12 cells.
cause you musta known, I can't trust the phones.
for the dough, you be like d'oh stuck at home.

(Hook: Jaheim)

Verse 3: Cam'ron

nowadays, dog, they raid up in the ballparks,
blaze 'em when they cross sharks,
we raiders of da lost ark.
i'm like a ballplayer, shake up and cross narcs.
they get mad when I lay up in the Porsche Box.
more props, R.I.P. my poor pops.
can't see his son shine like the Four Tops.
my antennas will block the scanners,
I got blammaz yo drop ya hammers.
Lawyers to watch lawyers,
cameras to watch cameras,
nannys to watch grandma,
and pajamas, I snuck out the watch Santa,
now look at killa, you gon' watch Santana

Eric Javier Collado Jr.

Lord You Know by Cam’ron and Jahiem is a perfect song for the soundtrack Manchild in the Promised Land I feel like it really represents what goes on in the streets about the drugs and the sex and how people around you always gets burn, and as you read the book its not very different from now and then as Sonny’s friends and family are blowing in the wind getting killed and serving time. This song really depicts what goes in the novel.

Song Name: Ghetto Gospel

Artist: 

Tupac A. Shakur

Lyrics: 

"Ghetto Gospel"

(feat. Elton John)

Uhh,

Hit them with a lil' ghetto gospel

[Chorus - Elton John:] Those who wish to follow me

(My ghetto gospel)

I welcome with my hands

And the red sun sinks at last into the hills of gold

And peace to this young warrior without the sound of guns

[2Pac] If I could recollect before my hood days

I'd sit and reminisce, n**** and bliss on the good days

I stop and stare at the younger, my heart goes to'em

They tested, it was stressed that they under In our days, things changed

Everyone's ashamed to the youth
cause the truth looks strange

And for me it's reversed, we left them a world that's cursed,

and it hurts cause any day they'll push the button and yall condemned like

Malcolm x and Bobby Hunton, died for nothing

Don't them let me get teary, the world looks dreary

but when you wipe your eyes, see it clearly

there's no need for you to fear me if you take your time to hear me,

maybe you can learn to cheer me it ain't about black or white, cause we're human

I hope we see the light before its ruined my ghetto gospel

[Chorus - Elton John]

[2Pac] Tell me do you see that old lady ain't it sad

Living out a bag, but she's glad for the little things she has

And over there there's a lady, crack got her crazy

Guess she's given birth to a baby

I don't trip and let it fade me, from outta the frying pan

We jump into another form of slavery

Even now I get discouraged

Wonder if they take it all back while I still keep the courage

I refuse to be a role model I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles

I make mistakes, I learn from everyone

And when its said and done I bet this Brotha be a better one

If I'm upset, you don't stress Never forget, that God hasn't finished with me yet

I feel his hand on my brain When I write rhymes,

I go blind, and let the lord do his thang

But am I less holy Cause I choose to puff a blunt and drink a beer with my homies

Before we find world peace

We gotta find peace and end the war on the streets

My ghetto gospel

[Chorus - Elton John]

[2Pac] Lord can you hear me speak!!

To pay the price of being **** bound...

[Thanks to menace_to_westauckland@hotmail.com, Drew_chillinintheghetto@hotmail.com, blaqa@aol.com, l.e.w.a.r.i@suomi24.fi for correcting these lyrics]

4. This song connects with Manchild because of its lyrics, message and beat. It is describing the lifestyles that kids like Sonny are living. The first verse talks about the youth and how they are almost helpless. Tupac says, "Everyone's ashamed to the youth cause the truth looks strange And for me it's reversed, we left them a world that's cursed, and it hurts" this makes me think of how Sonny sees the way the kids in his neighborhood are being brought up and living, and how they are being seen and underestimated. He sees how his brother, Pimp, is falling into this category of just another kid who gets strung out and is going nowhere. For Sonny, however, like Tupac, it's 'reversed' he sees that they are just falling into the world they are pulled into the society in which they live in. The song itself is about the struggle of the youth and the hope to succeed. Tupac himself has his own struggles, but is trying to get by. This is just like how Sonny is trying to succeed and get ahead of his generation.

5.To listen to the song:  http://www.amazon.com/Loyal-Game-2Pac/dp/B0006IGGLS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-4141919-8354826?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1193849937&sr=1-1

SANTA MONICA- Everclear

http://www.amazon.com/Santa-Monica/dp/B000TEGFWY/ref=sr_f2_5/104-7994010-2819154?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1194978423&sr=102-5

I am still living with your ghost
Lonely and dreaming of the west coast
I don't want to be your downtime
I don't want to be your stupid game

With my big black boots and an old suitcase
I do believe I'll find myself a new place
I don't want to be the bad guy
I don't want do your sleepwalk dance anymore
I just want to see some palm trees
I will try and shake away this disease

(chorus)x2
We can live beside the ocean
Leave the fire behind
Swim out past the breakers
Watch the world die

I am stil dreaming of you face
Hungry and hollow for all the things you took away
I don't want to be your good time
I don't want to be your fall-back crutch anymore

I'll walk right out into a brand new day
Insane and rising in my own weird way
I don't want to be the bad guy
I don't want to do your sleepwalk dance anymore

I just want to feel some sunshine
I just want to find some place to be alone

chorus x4

yeah watch the world die x4

This song relates to Sonny when he is maturing in his age. When he is a younger boy in the book, he mentions that he told his mother that he really wasn’t trying to be a bad boy. “I don’t want to be the bad guy” this shows that he has initial feelings that he wants to change. Through out his child hood his father is not a really good father to him. “I don't want to do your sleepwalk dance anymore” could be talking about how this is the life his father has given him and he doesn’t want to do it anymore. These are feelings of resentment, but he is still dreaming of his face in the longing feelings he has to have more of a fatherly figure. This song also describes how Sonny wants to be away from that whole life in Harlem and stand somewhere else and watch “his” old world die.

Click on the below link and choose the 4th song then u would be able to listen to music.

Hindi Song Title: Koi Tumsa Nahi
Hindi Movie/Album Name:

KRRISH

Singer(s): SHREYA GHOSHAL, SONU NIGAM

"
KOI TUMSA NAHI"

dhoop nikalti hai jahaan se, dhoop nikalti hai jahaan se

dhoop nikalti hai jahaan se

chandni rehti hai jahaan pe

khabar yeh ayi hai wahaan se

koi tumsa nahin, oh koi tumsa nahin

neend chupti hain jahaan pe, neend chupti hain jahaan pe

neend chupti hain jahaan pe

khwaab sajte hain jahaan pe

phool, titli aur kaliyaan, ho gaye tumse khafa

hoo Phool, titli aur kaliyaan, ho gaye tumse khafa

chhen li joh tumne inse, pyaar ki har ek ada

pyaar ki har ek ada

Rang banta hain jahaan pe, rang banta hain jahaan pe

rang banta hain jahaan pe

roop milta hain jahaan se

mere dilke chor ho tum, kiya tumhe ehsaas hai

haan Mere dilke chor ho tum, kiya tumhe ehsaas hai

ishq tha duniya mein jitna, sab tumhare paas hai

sab tumhare paas hai

hey deewanapan jahaan pe, hey deewanapan jahan pe

hey deewanapan jahan pe

bante hain ashiq jahaan pe

dhoop nikalti hai jahaan se, dhoop nikalti hai jahaan se

dhoop nikalti hai jahaan se

chandni rehti hai jahaan pe

Click on the below link and choose the 4th song then u would be able to listen to music.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/s

This song which I chose is perfectly appropriate for"Man-child and the Promise Land" because

in Sonny's early life when he was forced to go to school he used to chase a girl home because he liked

her the most. So basically it's a song for the love which he has towards her. This song really depicts the

feeling that Sonny has, there is no one was as beautiful as she is.

Melissa Reed

Halloween

Period 7

Soundtrack Project

1. Stole

2. Kelly Rowland

3. He was always such a nice boy The quiet one With good intentions He was down for his brother Respectful to his mother A good boy But good dont get attention One kid with a promise The brightest kid in school Hes not a fool Reading books about science and smart stuff Its not enough, no Cause smart dont make you cool, whoa Hes not invisible anymore With his fathers 9 and a broken fuse Since he walked through that classroom door Hes all over primetime news Marys got the same size hands As marilyn monroe She put her fingers in the imprints At manns chinese theatre show She coulda been a movie star Never got the chance to go that far Her life was stole Now well never know No no no no oh They were crying to the camera Said he never fitted in He wasnt welcomed He showed up to the parties We was hanging in Some guys puttin him down Bullying him round round Now I wish I woulda talked to him Gave him the time of day Not turn away If I woulda been the one to maybe go this far He might have stayed at home Playing angry chords on his guitar Hes not invisible anymore With his baggy pants and his legs in chains Since he walked through that classroom door Everybody knows his name Marys got the same size hands (oh) As marilyn monroe She put her fingers in the imprints (ooh) At manns chinese theatre show She coulda been a movie star Never got the chance to go that far Her life was stole Now well never know (now well never know, oh) Greg was always getting net from 20 feet away (20 feet away) He had a tryout with the sixers Couldnt wait for saturday (saturday) Now were never gonna see him slam Flying high as kobe can His life was stole (stole) Oh now well never know Now well never never never know Mmm now well never never never never know Stole (stole) Oh whoa yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah Marys got the same size hands (same size hands) As marilyn monroe(oh) She put her fingers in the imprints At manns chinese theatre show(she was gonna be a star) She coulda been a movie star (oh no) Never got the chance to go that far (never got the chance) Her life was stole (stole, stole) Oh now well never know (now well never never know, no) Greg was always getting net from 20 feet away (he had game, oh) He had a try out with the sixers Couldnt wait for saturday Now were never gonna see him slam (never see him) Flying high as kobe can His life was stole (stole, oh) Oh now well never know (now well never never know) Oh no no no Yeah their lives were stole Now well never know (stole) We were here all together yesterday (stole).

4. I chose to use the song Stole, by Kelly Rowland because it talks about how people, who have so much potential to be great, die.In Manchild in the Promised land, allow it's not as obvious everyones talent they are certain clues that show that certain people could do great things if they hadn't had they're life stolen by drugs or if they actually died. For example Sonny talks about Pimp's dreams of having an important job but they're crushed because of his now drug addiction. Also Jim, who was such a leader and wasn't scarred of anything, could have, if he used his strong characterstics in the right way, could have made a difference in the world/ The song uses all different types of examples from a basketball star to a talented actress who had so jmuch going for them and then it all ended when they died. The first example applys directly to Manchild in the Promised Land is when the song says, "Reading books about science and smart stuff/ Its not enough, no/ Cause smart dont make you cool." I think this applys to Sonny because back when he was younger he didn't want to do anything that wasn't considered cool. Also he felt pressure to do things others had done like shoot someone. Now he goes to school and he loves it so that shows that even though school still isn't cool he has overcome that pressure. I think the song represents the beginning of Sonny's life and the negative things sonny had to deal with.

http://www.amazon.com/Karaoke-Stole-Radio-Version/dp/B000SF60PQ/ref=sr_f2_1/102-4512169-4081724?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1194978170&sr=102-1

1. Carry on Wayward Son 2. Artist: Kansas Carry on my wayward son There'll be peace when you are done Lay your weary head to rest Don't you cry no more Once I rose above the noise and confusion Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion I was soaring ever higher But I flew too high Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man Though my mind could think I still was a mad man I hear the voices when I'm dreaming I can hear them say Refrain Masquerading as a man with a reason My charade is the event of the season And if I claim to be a wise man, well It surely means that I don't know On a stormy sea of moving emotion Tossed about I'm like a ship on the ocean I set a course for winds of fortune But I hear the voices say No! Carry on, you will always remember Carry on, nothing equals the splendor The center lights around your vanity But surely heaven waits for you Carry on my wayward son There'll be peace when you are done Lay your weary head to rest Don't you cry (don't you cry no more) 4. I feel like this song by Kansas explains many aspects of a person's mind through life and obviously Sonny's. It explains the struggles and the confusion of a person throughout his/her life, but then it gives the listeners a glorified ending they can think about. The line "but surely heaven waits for you" explains the glorified ending of a person's life. Kansas did an awesome job explaining people's confusion and struggle in life, yet they showed that there are good things in life as well. It's just like Sonny's life throughout the whole novel. Just when people thought he was almost done, there was hope left for him in life. http://www.emp3world.com/mp3/57281/Kansas/Carry%20On%20My%20Wayward%20Son

1. Changes

2. Tupac

"Changes"

[1]

Come on come on

I see no changes wake up in the morning and I ask myself

is life worth living should I blast myself?

I'm tired of bein' poor & even worse I'm black

my stomach hurts so I'm lookin' for a purse to snatch

Cops give a **** about a negro

pull the trigger kill a n**** he's a hero

Give the crack to the kids who the **** cares

one less hungry mouth on the welfare

First ship 'em dope & let 'em deal the brothers

give 'em guns step back watch 'em kill each other

It's time to fight back that's what Huey said

2 shots in the dark now Huey's dead

I got love for my brother but we can never go nowhere

unless we share with each other

We gotta start makin' changes

learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers

and that's how it's supposed to be

How can the Devil take a brother if he's close to me?

I'd love to go back to when we played as kids

but things changed, and that's the way it is

[Bridge w/ changing ad libs]

Come on come on

That's just the way it is

Things'll never be the same

That's just the way it is

aww yeah

[Repeat]

[2]

I see no changes all I see is racist faces

misplaced hate makes disgrace to races

We under I wonder what it takes to make this

one better place, let's erase the wasted

Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right

'cause both black and white is smokin' crack tonight

and only time we chill is when we kill each other

it takes skill to be real, time to heal each other

And although it seems heaven sent

We ain't ready, to see a black President, uhh

It ain't a secret don't conceal the fact

the penitentiary's packed, and it's filled with blacks

But some things will never change

try to show another way but you stayin' in the dope game

Now tell me what's a mother to do

bein' real don't appeal to the brother in you

You gotta operate the easy way

"I made a G today" But you made it in a sleazy way

sellin' crack to the kid. " I gotta get paid,"

Well hey, well that's the way it is

[Bridge]

[Talking:]

We gotta make a change...

It's time for us as a people to start makin' some changes.

Let's change the way we eat, let's change the way we live

and let's change the way we treat each other.

You see the old way wasn't working so it's on us to do

what we gotta do, to survive.

[3]

And still I see no changes can't a brother get a little peace

It's war on the streets & the war in the Middle East

Instead of war on poverty they got a war on drugs

so the police can bother me

And I ain't never did a crime I ain't have to do

But now I'm back with the facts givin' it back to you

Don't let 'em jack you up, back you up,

crack you up and pimp smack you up

You gotta learn to hold ya own

they get jealous when they see ya with ya mobile phone

But tell the cops they can't touch this

I don't trust this when they try to rush I bust this

That's the sound of my tool you say it ain't cool

my mama didn't raise no fool

And as long as I stay black I gotta stay strapped

& I never get to lay back

'Cause I always got to worry 'bout the pay backs

some punk that I roughed up way back

comin' back after all these years

rat-tat-tat-tat-tat that's the way it is uhh

[Bridge 'til fade]

4. I chose this song because is doesn't only have to do with a little section of the book, but almost the whole book. This song talk's about how it's so hard to get out of the surroundings you grew up in, and it's not by choice that they commit crimes, do drugs, or start doing these things at an early age. This is what they have to do to survive, and even after people try to make changes everything still stays the same. Also Tupac mentions how you have never seen a Black President yet, and that reminds me of when Sonny was having a conversation with his brother and they discussed that. Tupac also talks about how people need to push themselves to make their lives better because no one else will make life better for them or push them to do that.

5. http://www.amazon.com/2Pac-Greatest-Hits/dp/B00000FCBH/ref=m_art_li_0/102-1965779-5558521

Artist: Cascada
Song title: Every time we touch

Lyrics:

I still hear your voice when you sleep next to me
I still feel your touch in my dreams
Forgive me, my weakness, but I don't know why
Without you it's hard to survive

'Cause everytime we touch, I get this feeling
And everytime we kiss, I swear I could fly
Can't you feel my heart beat fast, I want this to last
Need you by my side
'Cause everytime we touch, I feel the static
And everytime we kiss, I reach for the sky
Can't you hear my heart beat so,
I can't let you go
Want you in my life

Your arms are my castle, your heart is my sky
They wipe away tears that I cry
[Everytime We Touch lyrics on http://www.metrolyrics.com]

The good and the bad times, we've been through them all
You make me rise when I fall

Need you by my side
'Cause everytime we touch, I feel the static
And everytime we kiss, I reach for the sky
Can't you hear my heart beat so,
I can't let you go
Want you in my life

Need you by my side

http://www.metrolyrics.com/everytime-we-touch-lyrics-cascada.html

The song that I that bests connect to “Manchild in the Promised Land” is “Every time we touch”. I chose this song because it illustrates the scene where Sonny meets Judy and begins a nice and loving relationship. On page 338, Claude Brown describes the scene where Sonny meets his new friend. The author describes how their friendship began when Judy heard him playing the piano. The author describes how their interests began this friendship. As the friendship bond becomes closer, Sonny has difficulty living without her. He wants to meet her on a regular basis. On page 352, the author describes the scene where Judy is sent to Connecticut to live with some relatives for the summer. Upon hearing this, Sonny becomes very depressed and lonely. This scene relates to the song, Every time we touch by Cascada, because in the song the artist portrays that there is an individual who cannot live without his or her companion. One of the lines in the song states, “I can’t let you go, Want you in my life” (Cascada) This quote supports the idea that Sonny does not want to forget about Judy.

http://www.amazon.com/Everytime-We-Touch-Cascada/dp/B000E6EJ2A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1194979181&sr=8-1

"Hope"

TWISTA (f/ Faith Evans)

[Verse 1 (Twista)]

I wish the way I was living could stop, serving rocks, Knowing the cops is hot when I'm on the block, And I Wish my brother woulda made bail, So I won't have to travel 6 hours to see him in jail, And I Wish that my grandmother wasn't sick, Or that we would just come up on some stacks and hit a lick, And I (I wish) Wish my homies wouldn't have to suffer, When the streets get the upper hand on us and we lose a brother, And I Wish I could go deep in a zone, And lift the spirits of the world with the words with in this song, And I (I wish) Wish I could teach a soul to fly, Take away the pain out cha hands and help you hold them high, And I Wish my hommie Butch was still alive And on the day of his death we had never took that ride, And I (I wish) Wish God could protect us from the wrong So that all the soldiers that were sent over seas come home We will never break, though they devastate, we shall motivate, And we gotta pray, all we got is faith. Instead of thinking about who gonna die to day, The Lord is gonna help you feel better, so you ain't gotta cry today. Sit at the light so long, And then we gotta move straight forward, cuz we fight so strong, So when right go wrong, Just say a little prayer, get ya money man, life go on!!! Let's HOPE!

[Chorus (Faith Evans)]

Cuz I'm hopeful, yes I am, hopeful for today, Take this music and use it Let it take you away, And be hopeful (hopeful) and he'll make a way I know it ain't easy but that's okay. cause we hopeful

[Verse 2 (Twista)]

I wish that you could show some love, Instead of hatin so much when you see some other people commin up (I wish) I wish I could teach the world to sing, Watch the music and have 'em trippin of the joy I bring, (shiit) I wish that we could hold hands, Listen instead of dissin lessons from a grown man, And I (I wish) Wish the families that lack, but got love, get some stacks Brand new shack and a lack that's on dubs, And I Wish we could keep achieving wonders, See the vision of the world through the eyes of Stevie Wonder, (you feel me) (I wish) And I hope all the kids eat, And don't nobody in my family see six feet, (ya dig) I hope them mothers stain' strong, You can make it whether you wit him or your mans gone, And I (I wish) Wish I could give every celly some commissary, And the po po bring the heat on them priest like they did R. Kelly, And I Wish that DOC could scream again And bullets could reverse so Pac and Biggie breath again, (****) (I wish) Then one day they could speak again, I wish that we only saw good news every time we look at CNN, I wish that we could never get the blues, Wish I could bring back the people that died, Eddy too I wish that we could walk a path, stay doin the right thing Hustle hard so the kids maintain up in the game, Let's HOPE

[Chorus (Faith Evans)]

Cuz I'm hopeful, yes I am, hopeful for today, Take this music and use it Let it take you away, And be hopeful (hopeful) and he'll make a way I know it ain't easy but that's okay. cause we hopeful

[Verse 3 (Twista)]

Wish the earth wasn't so apocalyptic, I try to spread my message to the world the best way I can give it, We can make it always so optimistic, If you don't listen gotta live my life the best way I can live it, I pray for justice when we go to court, Wish it was all good so the country never even went to war Why can't we kick it and just get em on, And in the famous words of Mr. King "Why can't we all just get along", Or we can find a better way to shop and please, And I Hope we find a better way to cop a keys, And I Wish everybody would just stop and freeze, And ask way are we fulfillin these downfalls and prophecies, You can be wrong if it's you doubting, With the faith of a mustard seed you can move mountains, And only the heavenly father and ease the hurt, Just let it go and keep prayin on your knees in church!! And let's HOPE

[Chorus (Faith Evans) X2]

Cuz I'm hopeful, yes I am, hopeful for today, Take this music and use it Let it take you away, And be hopeful (hopeful) and he'll make a way I know it ain't easy but that's okay. cause we hopeful http://www.lyricstop.com/h/hope-twistaffaithevans.html 

http://www.amazon.com/Hope/dp/B000SZIS1K/ref=sr_f2_6/104-5855022-4019100?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1193845873&sr=102-6

I chose the song "Hope" by Twista ft. Faith Evans. This song fits in with the plot of Manchild in the Promised Land. In this song, Twista talks about the troubles you go through when living your life on the streets. He wishes that everyone could take the time and see that that is not the way they should be living, and that they should hope to succeed and come out of their bad habits. "Take this music and use it let it take you away," these words fit in with what Sonny is trying to do with his life. Sonny takes on playing the piano and playing jazz with new people he meets; they also have decided to follow music and get off the streets (ch. 16, p.354). Also I found it very interesting how Twista mentions names of friends and people who have died; one that jumped out at me was "Wish my hommie Butch was still alive." Sonny's friend's name is Butch, and he too dies. Overall, this song hits many important points which Manchild also touched upon.

"I GO TO WORK" ::> BLAZE YA DEAD HOMIE

I'm the dead body creepin' through the streets on the East side
Took about 3 shots,
Victim of a homicide
Do a drive by in a second
Leave ya all bloody, and tattered lying on the pavement
Nothing can save ya when I'm in a homicidal rage
Nut up and then start unloading the 12 gauge
Sawed off pump in your *** b*tch
Say your prayers b*tch
Cause your headed to the casket
Then to the graveyard
A lil advice, Never perpetrate and act hard
Cause when you are dead,
Mutha&*%$ aint sh*t to lose
Still gettin my hustle on,
And payin helly dues
Aint got sh*t to prove to you marks and you bustas
Always stay strapped cause you know I cant trust ya
Lights out, before I put ya in the dirt
It's ya dead homie Blaze, b*tch I go to work

I go to work everyday
Baggin up yay
Clockin' major chedda loke
I'm all about my paper roll
I go to work on the East side
Jackin sucka b*tches' rides
Doin hella drive bys
Just another homicide

I go to work everyday
Baggin up yay
Jackin sucka ******* rides
Doin hella drive bys
Just another homicide

I go to work in my neighborhood
Puffin' on blunts, baggin up yay and always up to no good
Cause I'm a gansta, been to the grave and back
So stop on my corner, and get your ****&%$ car jacked
Cause I don't play like my homies always say
We runnin' with a hatchet Psychopathic AY! YAY!
Every day ya homie Blaze, is on the streets
Bouncin' downtown, brandishing heat
Until just the other day when I was walkin on my own
A sucka tried to hit me for my stack and my cell phone
Tried to play me G,
Till he got a peek of my pitch black eyes
Right before I shattered his teeth, and broke his jaw
Then watched him fall, lifeless
You should have seen his face it was priceless
Just another lesson hoe, with disgression hoe
Cause through the streets I lurk, I go to work

I go to work everyday
Baggin up yay
jackin sucka b*tches rides
Doin hella drive bys just another homicide

I go to work everyday
Baggin up yay
Jackin sucka b*tches rides
Doin hella drive bys
Just another homicide

Now I'm rollin in the jacked up bucket
Bumpin' Twiztid, puffin herb like f&$# it
Make a left on the one way,
Thats when the boys in blue
Got behing me with they lights and sirens
30 seconds of silence,
Then I unloaded the clip
Pumpin' on pigs wit the hollow point tips
So don't trip, I still gots to get my grip
Rollin down the street,
Leavin em bleedin' by the scene
Then a right, left then a right, to a chop shop
Sold the bucket and a rock
To a smoked out b*tch in a '92 Ranger
That's the way it is in the life of a gangsta
Or a hustla, quick to dust ya
I could lose an arm, and still murder 40 of ya
Watch ya back when Blaze get his smirk on
You could be the next muthaf&$#@* I go to work on

I go to work everyday
Baggin up yay
Doin hella drive bys
Just another homicide

I go to work everyday
Baggin up yay
Doin hella drive bys
Just another homicide

I didn't get a chance to read ManChild In The Promise Land because I was in a different class, but from what I've been told it's about life on the streets with drugs, murder, sex, and other such things. This song has reference to cocaine and dealing which relates to the drug reference in the book. In ManChild Sonny gets shot, and there's reference to shootings and drive bys in this song as well. I was told there were also many people in the book that woke up and didn't care even a little bit if they died and wanted to.
"Monster" - TWIZTID

f*** you and you're platinum chains
I'd rather rip out your intestines and wear it on my neck just the same
Making a charm outta ya Brain
And having the gall to give it away
To ya moms and pops in a box marked remains

Blood Stains these veins and the way that I can only explain is it insane
The world's gonna celebrate when I hang
And I just hope that it's on T.V. like Saddam Hussien
And I just hope that you could be me for just one day
Then you would get a better sense of what the f*** I say
I said
******* ain't s***,
God Bless the dead,
And f*** every last b*tch that won't give up some head
I smoke 15 packs in a day and I'm getting worried now
Cause everytime I cough my hearing is getting blurry

I ain't a hater, player
Just ain't no suckers allowed
And you and that ***** that was dancing are just way outta bounds

It came in the dark where most were fast asleep
Monster
Creeping, aching for blood
Down bellow the streets
Monster
If you get caught in the gaze of his evil eyes
Monster
You will know true horror as your body slowly dies
Monster

Yo black magic devil horns
Wake the devil, we perform
We'll weigh more bodies and dead by dawn
Ill child, Black label Society
We exact wild on you b*tches so live in fear of the enemy
My conciense told me let it be
But vengence had a remedy to kill'em all
And split up they atoms just like it's chemistry
And scratch skin from ya face like a plastic surgeon
And leave ya twitching in pain, screaming behind the curtain
I'm for certain with a look like bloody-face uncle frank
Most of these home grown killas
Claiming that they dank
When thay **** ready to sink
Board a log Like monster tombs
But were in mid transformation, alive inside of cacoons
Nursing the wounds, in many battles, turn cities to tombs
Growin close to the end
So what the f*** we got to lose?
Straight killas with enough ammunition to take the planet to war
Most of these villians don't even know what they dying for
I can't stop it
I can't stop it
I can't stop it
I can't stop it
I can't stop it
I can't stop it
I can't stop it

Site of the blood makes me wicked
Takes me to another place
Falling in love, can't be controlled
But I know that it's bound to change
All of my life and all of the time, the chemicals are a friend of me
Can't be controlled and search in result
The monster's got the best of me

And I will choke and stab and seperate the feelings from me
Until they're all gone like none of them ever belonged
As I continue to change in search of the things that I really wanna be
Although the journey's long I keep repeating this song

It's not a fear
The monster is alive and in me
But I pray
I pray to the lord every night i go to sleep
It's not a fear
And if I should die before I awake
But I pray
I pray to the lord my soul be afraid

I felt that the song "Monster" by Twiztid best fit the book "Manchild" when Sonny was at the worst of living the street life. In the song, the monster is described as creeping the streets at night and taking ones life if you gaze him in the eye. I believe that the monster could be represented as the danger, drugs, and the hold the street life has on you. Another part of the song repeats "I can't stop it". I think that this strongly represents the hold drugs have on you. Many drug abusers don't want to continue using drugs but they "can't stop it".
"I TRIED" By:BONE THUGS-N-HARMONY

http://www.amazon.com/I-Tried/dp/B000VRL8LW/ref=dm_ap_trk2/102-9716555-8168943

I chose the song I tried by Bone thugs-n-harmony because it relates to how sonny was trying to get away from the violence and drugs but he couldnt because thats where hes from and he couldnt just leave, he wasnt able to support himself. Also in this song it says "First let me explain that I'm just a black man and I come from the darkside, so I'm having a hard time staying on track man my mind be racing" This is basically saying how since he was from harlem its hard for him to chace his goals because there was always the temptation of drugs for him, and then he'd just end up like an addict like the rest of the people form harlem.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bonethugsnharmony/itried.html

You know nothing come easy, you gotta try real real hard, I tried hard...but I guess I
gotta try harder.

I try so hard can't seem to get away from misery
man I try so hard
will always be a victim of these streets
it ain't my fault cause I...
tried to get away but trouble follows me
and still I try so hard
hoping one day you'll come and rescue me
but until then, I'll be posted up right here rain sleet hail snow
but until then...
I'll be posted up right here with my heat getting dough

First let me explain that I'm just a black man
and I come from the darkside, so I'm having a hard time staying on track man my mind be
racing, and I don't even know what I'm chasin' yet I been in and out of relationships, I'm
starting to see thats it's me where the complications at, but I'm laying back praying that,
you can't have piece of mind of me, I thought I was right but really I'm wrong, in the end
I was to blind to see, I was in the fast lane chasin' my dream, and then it seem when the
fame and cash came they just got me going crazy lately, lately, lately I been so faded
trying to erase it but I cant cause the drama just goes greater and I been in so many
collisions from putting **** up till later

I try so hard
can't seem to get away from misery
man I try so hard
and still I try so hard
but until then...

It's like I'm taking 5 steps forward and 10 steps back, trying to get ahead of the game,
but I can't seem to get it on track, and I keep running away from the ones that say they
love me the most how could I create the distance when it's suppose to be close and uh, I
just don't know but I be out here fighting demons and, it's like a curse that I can't shake
this part of Cleveland and lord, would you help me? and stop this pain I keep inflicting on
my family hustling gambling, tricking and scamming scrambling and losing sight of what I'm
suppose to be handling, it's hard to manage cause everyday's a challenge and man I'm slipping
can't lose my balance I'm trying not to panic

I try so hard
man I try so hard
and still I try so hard
but until then...

I see thangs won't change I'm stuck in the game as soon as I get out it keeps pulling me
back mayne got me doin' dirty dirt so used to this hustlin' money that I don't understand
how 9 to 5 work studied on the streets, hustlers know what I mean hustlers balling in force
I'm tryna make that major league so we never leave never, til' the sun came up gotta get it
nope no leaving no rush today games they play gotta go hard to get what u put in if you fall
off then it's all on you gotta watch what you sign to try so hard but I won't play the fool

I try so hard
man I try so hard
and still I try so hard
but until then...